Saturday, April 11, 2015

The Gift by Mary Oliver

Northern Mockingbird

                                                               








                                     The Gift

I wanted to thank the mockingbird for the vigor of his song.
Every day he sang from the rim of the field, while I picked
   blueberries or just idled in the sun.
Every day he came fluttering by to show me, and why not,
   the white blossoms in his wings.
So one day I went there with a machine, and played some songs of
   Mahler.
The mockingbird stopped singing, he came close and seemed
   to listen.
Now when I go down to the field, a little Mahler spills
   through the sputters of his song.
How happy I am, lounging in the light, listening as the music
   floats by!
And I give thanks also for my mind, that thought of giving
   a gift.

And mostly, I’m grateful that I take this world so seriously. 
                                                         
                                                                             Mary Oliver

Oliver, Mary. "The Gift." House of Light. Boston: Beacon Press, 1990. p 36. 

A clutch of Mockingbird eggs